Monday, April 19, 2010

~~Salad Nicoise~~

Cooking ranks in one of my top ten passions!  

We had a dinner party this weekend, and this is one of my favorite dishes to make when you want color, variety and fun!  I learned of this dish in a tiny village in France.  When I got home from that trip, I made a few adjustments, and VIOLA!  

~~Salad Nicoise~~
(pronounced, "nee shwa")




This is a cold salad, so prepare everything in advance and keep it in the refrigerator.

Shopping list:
  • Ahi tuna
  • New potatoes or fingerlings
  • Fresh green beans
  • Kalamata olives, pitted
  • Eggs, hard-boiled
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Lettuce (I like spring greens)
  • Any vinaigrette salad dressing that you like (I like Newman's Light)
  • Spicy mustard
  • Capers
  • Anchovies (if you like)
  • Olive oil, the best you can find
  • Fresh rosemary
  • Course salt
Again, prepare the ingredients well prior to assembling your edible art!


~~Tuna~~
Sear by heating a grill pan until hot.  Sear on each side for about a minute.  You want it brown on the outside and rare in the middle.  Cool and then slice in to 1/4" pieces.  

~~Potatoes~~
Boil the potatoes until they are tender.  Then  toss them with really good olive oil, course salt and fresh rosemary.  I keep these at room temperature.  Yum~! 


~~Green beans~~
Steam or boil.  Cool in the refrigerator.


Now...right before you serve this scrumptious feast...you get to have the most fun!


In a large bowl, prepare your dressing.  I don't measure, so use your sense of taste and balance to mix the vinaigrette, mustard and capers.  (If your guests aren't looking, chop up a couple of anchovies and throw them in!)

Toss with the lettuce.


Place your dressing'ed lettuce in the middle of a platter or large plate.  Arrange all the other ingredients around the edges of the lettuce to create a balanced presentation.  


Finally, place the tuna slices in the middle of the plate.

Serve this colorful, tasty dish with nearly any wine of your choice.  I served a Chilean Carmenere!

Bon Apetit!






1 comment:

Michael said...

It's making me hungry!