Wednesday, January 2, 2013

~~The Power of Intent~~

Paris Photo Short
(c)mimiparis.com
January 2, 2012



The Power of Intention

I often talk about the power of observation, arguably the most powerful key to human effectiveness.

Another underestimated key to human effectiveness lies in the phenomenon of intention. Intention--and the perception of intention--can lead to the deepest sorrows, cruelest conflicts...and even to the deadliest of wars among humankind. Conversely, intention--and the perception of intention--can lead to the greatest love, devotion, trust and community.

For example, if I believe that you have mal intent, I am more likely to act negatively toward you...only based on my perception of your intent. Arguments, fights and wars can be caused by the perception of mal intent.

However, if I believe that you have good intent, I am more likely than ever to forgive even the greatest mis-steps, because my perception of your intent is that you 'meant' well.

What if others truly have mal intent? Some do. But what is even more powerful to your effectivesness is to believe others' good intentions. Their intent is theirs to own.

The only thing you can control is your perception of intention. Regarless of the actual intention of the other matters not. YOU will be happier when you assume the best intentions!


1 comment:

ray said...

As long as my motives are pure,,as Bob Marley said,," Every little things,,,gonna be alright".